SME – Series V-9 (pre-owned)
SME engineers, recognising the potential of the latest complementary equipment,
accepted the challenge to design and build a pick-up arm which unlike others in existence
would make no detectable sound contribution of its own. The work took almost four years and the measure
of its success is the acceptance of the Series V precision pick-up arm by technical experts and users as one of
the world’s truly great audio products.Series V sound has an almost startling dynamic range and
neutrality enabling high levels to be enjoyed. It escapes the ‘LP’ sound and demonstrates that structural resonances
in pick-up arms are responsible for much that makes vinyl records readily discernible from master tapes.
The functioning of a pick-up arm appears simple but is in fact very complex.
- Unique one-piece pressure die-cast tone-arm utilising the advantages of magnesium, replace conventional fabricated construction.
- Internal constrained layer damps minute residual vibration leaving the tone-arm acoustically inert.
- Fine machined cartridge platform, enamel free to avoid interface resonance.
- A Stainless steel cross shaft, ground and thread ground. Carried in massive yoke on 10mm ball races.
- Axis at record mean level to minimise warp-wow.
- Dynamic balance graduated vertical tracking force (VTF) control applies 0-3g x 0.125g through resonance controlled spring.
- Unique assembly gives high rigidity and allows bearings to be critically adjusted before tone-arm is fitted.
- Stainless steel vertical shaft, ground and thread ground, with integral 16mm diameter flange to couple shaft and yoke.
- 23mm diameter steel pillar, heat treated, ground and honed, carries two 17mm ball races, widely spaced to resist tilt.
- Anti-skate control operates through tension spring and filament. Dial corresponds with VTF and has positive OFF position.
- Lowering/raising control gives smooth positive action. Height of lift can be adjusted.
- Subsonic lateral mode fluid damper can be instantly adjusted or cancelled.
- Dual-lock base provides movement control with high rigidity.
- Tungsten-alloy balance weight carried on damped two-point suspension. Extra-low inertia design assists warp riding.
- Underslung weight housing corrects centre of gravity and provides non-reflective tone-arm termination.
- Adjustment leadscrew journalled in twin ball races with lever clamping.
- Swivelling damped output socket minimises vibration transmission in sub-chassis use.
- Fine adjustment of arm height (VTA).
- Reference lines on tone-arm facilitate VTA setting.
- Fine adjustment of horizontal tracking angle (HTA).
- New design alignment protractor sets HTA with greater accuracy.
- Advanced jig/template system guarantees correct positioning.
|Series V Dimensions||Series V Specifications|
|A – Distance from pivot to stylus||233.15mm||Effective mass||10.0/11.0g|
|B – Distance from pivot to turntable centre||215.35mm||Cartridge balance range||4.2 – 18.0g|
|C – Cartridge fixing centres||12.70mm||Vertical tracking force||0 – 3.0g(30mN)|
|D – Offset angle||23.635°||Maximum tracking error||0.012(degrees per mm)|
|E – Linear offset||93.47mm||Null points||Inner 66.04mm
|F – Overhang||17.8mm||Audio lead||Length 1.2m
Capacitance 140.0 pF per channel
Resistance 0.145 ohms per conductor
|G – Height above mounting surface||max. 87.90mm
|Internal wiring||Capacitance 15.0 pF per channel
Resistance 0.5353 ohms per conductor
|H – Height of record surface above
|Output plug and socket||DIN 5-pole 240°|
|J – Depth below mounting surface||56.75mm||Weight net||720.0g|
|K – Radial clearance for balance weight||73.0mm|
|L – Clearance between cabinet lid and
record surface assuming cartridge
height at 17.0mm